More Orchids...Fly,Man and the odd Broomrape!

Following my previous visit to Wakerley Woods I checked this site again yesterday for a better look. Well over a couple of hours of searching this site I found at least ten Fly Orchids and a couple of Common Twayblades.











Moving on to the well know Barnack NNR (see the Link) which was less than ten miles away, the objective here was to take photos of the good numbers of Man Orchids which occur at this site. After a short walk on to the reserve it wasn't long before I spotted the distinctive shape of a Man Orchid. So over the next hour or so I took numerous photos of the Man Orchids and also the newly emerging Fragrant Orchids and Pyramidal Orchids.
At this site I also noted some rare plants for the region which included Pasque Flower and small numbers of Knapweed Broomrape.
For the rest of the day I spent time looking at a few sites on the Leics/Lincs/Rutland border for more orchids and Knapweed Broomrape.
Sightings here included 11 spikes of the Broomrapes near Essendine, good numbers of Pyramidal Orchids on the border line(Little Warren road verges) and fifty + spikes of Southern Marsh Orchids at Pickworth A1 triangle.
The only disappointment of the day was not finding any Bee orchids at these sites, but I got a feeling that probably from last year's record year, Bee Orchids are going to be thin on the ground and the dry winter and April did not help!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.