Leicestershire Orchids: Southern Marsh Orchids, Common Spotted Orchids,Heath Spotted Orchids and some hybrids!


Following some info from Andrew Allen, I checked out a new site for me near the A42 Ashby roundabout on a former opencast pit site.
Walking around this former industrial site the one thing I did notice was the thousands and thousands of Southern Marsh Orchids,Common Spotted Orchids,Heath Spotted Orchids and there hybrids! Some of the plants were at least two foot tall!!
I also noted a few calcareous-type plants like Yellow-wort and Greater Knapweed which is actually quite rare on this side of the county.
I also noted some orchids which did look very much like Northern Marsh Orchid, but I need to do some research on them as this could be a new record for the county?!
With the numbers of Orchids and the rich calcareous flora I will contact LRWT about this site and just wonder if it's on there radar or not?!


Comments

Anonymous said…
Where are these Dave? New Lount?
davidearlgray said…
No John on the disused opencast site next to the A42 Ashby roundabout.
davidearlgray said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.