Sproxton and Saltby Quarries

I checked out these two excellent sites in the north-east of the county yesterday and was pleased on what I saw and found.
These two quarries are very unwatched but every time I have been there I keep on finding more surprises on the wildlife front.
So the sightings I saw yesterday included good numbers of butterflies, which included Green Hairstreak,Dingy Skipper, Brown Argus and large numbers of Common Blues. Day-flying moths I encountered included Burnet Companion and Mother Shipton.
However the surprise of the day was a female Marsh Harrier slowly quartering the fields of the airfield just after 1.00pm.
Over the next few weeks I will up date you on what else I see and find at these two under watched sites. 


PS: Check the link for a map of the two sites!


Comments

The Drunkbirder said…
Will try and drop in over the weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.