After some sleep, a Whinchat on the patch......


As some of you would know, I have been on nights at the General Hospital for the last few days. So finishing my last shift yesterday morning and a few hours kip I got a text message from Roger Brett to let me know that a male Whinchat was in the large field next to Worcester Lake down at Watermead CP Birstall section.
So after some food and a shower it was off to the country park.
I was soon scanning the field and thinking maybe I should have got out of bed as I couldn't find the Whinchat!
Walking further around the enclosed field I finally picked up the bird as it flitted around the fence posts and nearby vegetation. Get In!(126 for Soar Valley challenge).
Watching the bird I noted it was a corking female and must admit Whinchat's are lovely looking birds!
Phoning out the news about the bird I also took a few record shots of the bird which you can see above.
After taking some shots of the Whinchat I then took a circular walk around the rest of the northern section of the park. Sightings I noted included now at least eight Common Terns around the lakes, good numbers of Warblers singing including Lesser Whitethroat, Whitethroat and Garden Warbler and the usual stuff on Wanlip Meadows.
On my way back to the car I met up with Roger and Andy Brett and John Hague and let them know were the Whinchat was, before saying my good byes and back home for a bit more sleep!.... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.