A Birthday treat: Osprey over your local patch!

It's my birthday today and for some reason I seem to see or find a good bird on this day?
So getting out of my car at Watermead CP North this morning, I noticed a raptor being mobbed by crows and a single Buzzard. I thought is it the Red Kite again?,but getting my bins on the bird I realised that in fact it was an Osprey migrating slowly north!! Get fuc*ing In!! I watched the bird for the next couple of minutes as it slowly flew over me and then towards Wanlip North before losing it behind some trees as it flew north.
I was straight on to the phone and let people know of the sighting and then I jumped into my car and drove it to the entrance of the park to see if I could the Osprey again?
My luck was out but I decided that Cossington Meadows might be a good idea? So I drove over to the reserve. With no more sign of the Osprey I spent the next hour or so checking out the reserve. Sightings on the reserve I saw included a ringed Little Egret (Probably the returning Groby bird?!) and a nice-looking White Wagtail on Hobley Lake.
Going back to Watermead CP I noted good numbers of Common Gulls on the move north, and a couple of Sand Martins over the Key lakes at Birstall.
With a final call at Watermead CP South more Common Gulls were seen moving north and a couple of Lesser Black-backed Gulls showed courtship behaviour on the island. Maybe a new breeding species for the Valley?!
As this is my last day on annual leave its back to work in the morning but the time off has been great and my Soar Valley list is progress steadily to the magic 140 target!

Comments

Darlene S. said…
Happy Birthday! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.