Review of the Year 2009.


Iceland Gulls saw loads in the year!

Orchid of the Year-
Bee Orchid in a Leicester Park!

Pec Sand at Cosso

and finally the highlight of the year for me
21 Killer Whales in Biscay!

As I have been at work for the whole of the Christmas period, I probably won't be doing any more birding this year except for my annual trip to Caerlaverock WWT via my brother's home in Glasgow. So I thought I would have a review of the year of the sightings and my finds of the year.
Winter:
A good start to the year included a lifer in the form the Glaucous-winged Gull at Cowpen Landfill, Co.Durham. Other highlights in the month included a patch tick with a dark bellied Brent Goose at "Wanlip North Lakes" with the large mixed goose flock.
The only other rarity for Leicestershire I saw was the mobile Great White Egret at Sheepy Magna, West Leicestershire on the 18th.
February was all about me finding loads of white-winged Gulls at different sites in the county. It started with me finding a 1st winter bird Iceland Gull at Stanford Reservoir (a different bird to the one which was at Shawell tip the previous day!), then three at Albert Village Lake (an adult, 1st winter and a 2nd Winter bird) in the space of an hour and then to complete the picture a 2nd winter Glaucous Gull in the same gull flock.
The other major highlight of the month was large snow falls covering most of the UK.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.