Lists..............slightly worrying!!

As I'm currently on my last night shift for the week and to pass the boredom I thought I would look up the different lists I keep. I don't know if its me or not but most birders or even males seem to have an Asperger's syndrome trait when collecting different lists.
Looking up the different lists which I keep range from my current BOU list through to the number of orchids species I have seen in the UK and finishing with the list of Cetaceans I have seen in European and UK Waters.
Here is a list of the current lists I keep!!
Bird Lists:
BOU List: 435 species
Leicestershire (VC 55) List: 247+ two heard only (Bearded Tit and Lapland Bunting).
Local Patch List: Soar Valley, Leicestershire 183 species.
Midlands Region List: Not sure but probably close to 300 species?
Leicestershire Day List: 110 species seen on 29th April 2007 with help from Mr Rob Fray (county record).
Orchid Lists:
UK Orchid List: up to the present day 38 species + numerous varieties and hybrids seen out of a possible 56 species recorded in the UK.
Leicestershire Orchid List: 15 species out of a possible 23 species recorded on the VC plant list.
Cetacean Lists:
UK waters Cetacean List: 9 species seen in the UK.
European Waters Cetacean List: 21 species mostly seen in Biscay and off the Canaries.
Dragonfly List:
UK Dragonfly List: Not sure how many I have seen but probably in the mid forties?
Butterfly List:
UK Butterfly List: Again not sure how many I have seen in the UK but probably around 40 species seen.

So looking at the list I keep at least 11different lists of the birds, animals and plants I have recorded over the last thirty years I have been interested in wildlife. Possible due to my lack of sleep I think this is slightly worrying?!

Comments

Bloody hell Dave - the Lancy put me on 438 (strict BOU) and I haven't twitched for 8 years!
Russ Malin said…
You forgot your Leicestershire Cetacean list!! Which I suspect is similar in number to mine.....
Anonymous said…
My lust for seeing 'new stuff' is as strong as ever...however...my lust for listing has somewhat diminished over the years...
I now envision 'pure lister types' as 'scrooge' type characters...counting all them gold coins..[ticks]...n giggling like obsessed fuckin maniacs to themselves....
Don't get me wrong tho...nowt wrong with a bit o listing...just as long as them 'numbers' aren't the main motivation...which i'm sure ain't the case with many folk.
As long as you have fun...[which is always my main motivation]...

Haven't 'totted-up' lists for long time....think 'others' know more about 'totals' than me...

ps...have never...ever...'year listed'..taint 'my thing'..!

Beast.....
Skev said…
And I suppose this is your Lists list.
davidearlgray said…
As of 13th October 2009 BOU List now: 436 Brown Shrike!

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.