Cut End Seawatch, Lincs 16th Sept 2009.

After finishing my early shift at the general, I drove over to Cut End, which is the Witham/Wash river mouth(Basically were the river meets the sea!), near Boston, Lincs.
I was told that the the best time to go was around hide tide with a north-east blow to push the birds close towards the river mouth.
Arriving at the Cut End Hide at around 5.00pm in the middle of high tide, I joined the group of birders who watching the sea.
My sightings of the next couple of hours included:
16 Arctic Skuas, 1 Bonxie, 1 Fulmar, 10+ Sandwich Terns, at least 30+ Eiders, a single Common Scoter (10 metres off the hide!) and good numbers of the usual waders.
Scanning the nearby salt marshes I also picked up at least 7 Marsh Harriers, and over 40 Little Egrets.
Although I couldn't pick up the long staying King Eider at this site due to the choppy conditions I was pleased what I had seen at this new site for me and would visit it again as soon as possible.
As I walked back to the car the final sighting of the day was a nice Pied Flycatcher noted on the sea wall fence next to the car park.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You didn't miss much regards the king eider Dave...[apart from the bird itself]! It was a duck...an out of plumage duck...an out of plumage male duck....need i say more?..[probably not]....!

Nice site tho ain't it?...[new 'area' for me too.....will have to visit again]...

Beast
davidearlgray said…
Hi Colin (AKA Beast), I've been twice now and still haven't seen the King Eider!!!
Lincolnshire is an excellent county for birds finding,I just wished global warming would come quicker so Leicestershire would have a coastline!!;-]
Anonymous said…
Soon they will have dug out enuff lagoons at rutty in order to join up with the 'wash'....!!

ps...didn't realize you'd been twice for the 'king'!.....i reckon 'birds' can sense desperation...perhaps the 'trick' is to be 'not-bovvered'....!

pps...me went for skua's...[but didn't get 'hoped for' poms...still a good session tho...leach's were superb...[not seen this species for what seems 'yonks']...

Beast...

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.