Adder in Vc 55 plus bits and bobs.....


Adder in Vc 55!

Early on Wednesday morning, I nipped over to Rutland to see if I could find the reported Adders which had been showing on and off for the last few days.

Arriving at the location and using the directions from Colin Towe and Chris Lythall, within in five minutes of checking the site I saw an Adder basking itself on rocks next to the footpath.
As you can imagine I took few record shots of the Adder as it slowly warmed itself up on the rocks.
The Adder took about half an hour to warm up and then slowly moved back in the vegetation.
With the quarry under the belt, other sightings in the surrounding area included a singing Lesser Whitethroat, Blackcap, Green Woodpecker and Jay.
Happy with what I had seen I then moved on to the dam at Rutland Water.

Scanning from the dam I finally picked up the long staying Great Northern Diver after a few minutes which was actually just off Whitwell Creek!!, and then the "showy" drake Scaup which was just off the dam.
From the dam I drove back to Soar Valley as I need to digiscope the two Pec Sands which were still at Cossington Meadows, but that another story.......

So on the whole my quick nip into Rutland had been quite productive with a year tick in the form of Diver and an excellent county tick in the shape of the cracking Adder!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.