Anything for the weekend sir?.... 40th birthday, EDF semis and a spot of birding!!


Gloucester v Ospreys

Gloucester v Ospreys again!

Cardiff Blues practicing tackling!


Drake Scaup at Swithland Res

Grey Heron at Cossington Meadows

Well over the weekend I celebrated my 40th birthday, watched a bit of rugby and did some birding on the Sunday.
Firstly on the Friday night I spent a few good hours in The Orange Tree celebrating my birthday and would like to thank my friends for all the cards and presents I received.
On the Saturday in the morning I felt like death warmed up!! and was in two minds if I should go to the EDF semi finals in Coventry due to me feeling so ill.
But after have a bit of breakfast which didn't come straight back up I decided that I might be OK to go.
So in the afternoon I joined the good numbers of different supporters at the Ricoh Arena.
The first match of the day was Gloucester v Ospreys and I must admit it was a rubbish game, loads of handling errors, defences cancelling each other out, and a number of injuries to players who might be going on the Lions tour of South Africa. The only highlight of the game for me was seeing Shane Williams do a couple of great runs from his own half and evading most of Gloucester defence. The game ended disappointingly with Gloucester winning 17-0 against the Ospreys.
In contrast to the previous match, Northampton Saints v Cardiff Blues was much better game and at times some outstanding running rugby was seen.
I thought Leigh Halfpenny, Jamie Roberts and Gethin Jenkins were excellent with there tackling and running with the ball at the Northampton defence. Although it was a tight game, the Blues ran out comfortable winners at the end 11-5 to the Northampton Saints.



On the Sunday I did a bit of birding at my usual local patches in the Charnwood area and Soar Valley complex.
The first site I checked out was Swithland Reservoir and the summer plumaged Black-necked Grebe was still around but a little distant from the dam wall. A little bit closer was a pair of Scaup (male and female), so a good start to the day!! I took a few record shots of the pair.
Other noteworthy sightings included a calling Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and good numbers of Goldeneyes still around the reservoir.
Moving on to the Soar Valley complex, Wanlip Meadows was pretty quiet, so I drove over to Cossington Meadows, the final destination of the day.

At Cossington Meadows the sightings included 2 Little Egrets, a nice female Wheatear and small numbers of the usual spring waders. It was pleasing to see the Wheatear at the Plover meadow as this area is starting to become a regular spot for this species.
On the whole it wasn't too bad a day and it was pleasing to see more spring migrants had arrived at my local patch.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.