Violet Helleborines at Great Merrible Wood 1st August 2008.





Violet Helleborines at Great Merrible Wood LRWT.
I checked out Great Merrible Wood yesterday afternoon to look for Violet Helleborine (Epipactis purpurata) and found over 75 flowering stems, which was the most I have ever seen in this wood.
I found one plant which was close to the path which had a cluster of twenty stems on it!
It looks like it has been a very good year for Helleborine species as high numbers have been recorded all over the country.
I think also it might have something to do with last year's weather conditions, as this orchid is affected by dry summers and grows better in damp conditions.
If I get time over the next couple of weeks I will try visit this site again to see the Helleborines in there full flowering glory!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.