Red-Necked Phalarope at Switho Res 26th August 2008.


Juvenile Red-Necked Phalarope
at Swithland Res

A quick phonecall from Allen Pocock this evening, had me driving over to Swithland Reservoir, as he told me that he was watching a Phalarope Sp. at the end of Kinchley Lane.
When I arrived at Kinchley Lane, Allen and Ben Croxtall were trying to get a better view of the bird, but were having problems seeing the bird due to surrounding vegetation.
I quickly walked up the Lane and scoped the bird from the stone wall viewpoint and concluded it was probably a Red-necked Phalarope, but needed better views.
Rejoining Allen and Ben we all climbed over the metal railings to see the bird through a gap in the vegetation. With better views of the bird we all came to same conclusion that the bird was a juvenile Red necked Phalarope.
At the same time I also took a few record shots of the bird.
Driving back to the viewpoint I met up with most of my birding mates (John, Dave Mack, Jez Robson and Brian the wearside whippet!) and got approved views of the Phalarope as it moved slowly towards the viewpoint.
Although there was no sign of the previous day's Black Necked Grebe the only other notable sighting we saw during this time was of a couple of Hobbys seen hawking over the reservoir and nearby wood.
Watching the Phalarope until eight o'clock I decided to call it a day and return home for a spot of tea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.