Black Scooters at Swithland Res 27th March 2008.




While I was booking my Citroen C2 Loeb in for a service,I got a pager message of about 16 Common Scoters at Swithland Reservoir that afternoon, so I decided not to do my weekly food shop at Morrison's, which I was going to do after servicing the car, but instead headed for Swithland Reservoir.
Before I reached Swithland, I phoned John and Skev, about the Scoters, which there would try to see later in the day after family and work commitments.
Viewing from the stone wall on Kinchley Lane, I scanned across the reservoir,firstly picking up the long staying pair of Smew,then a group of seven Common Scoters in the middle of the reservoir.
Digiscoping the flock I took a few records shots of the Scoters.
At around the same time,another birder came round the corner,and asked if the Lesser Scaup was still showing?
Scanning further right over the reservoir, I saw the Lesser Scaup was close to the dam, and told the birder it was showing from the dam, which he thanked me and drove to the dam.
After taking a few more shots of the Scoter flock, I moved to the dam, to view the Lesser Scaup.
Watching the Scaup, I noted more features of the bird's plumage which I couldn't see on the bird the previous Sunday due to distance and light.
With time pressing, I moved onto the southern causeway of the reservoir to look for the other Scoter flock.
From the causeway, I could see another nine Common Scoter (eight males and a single female) just right of the railway viaduct.
While digiscoping the flock,Mark Skev announced his arrival, with a loud blast of his car horn,to which I reply with the two finger salute!
After showing Mark the Scoter flock, Mark then showed me a couple of moth specialities for Swithland Reservoir, which I could only describe as brown in colour and tiny in size (Sorry Mark!).
Leaving Mark at the causeway, I finally got do to my weekly food shop, two hours after originally planned, but pleased I had seen Common Scoter in Leicestershire once again.

Comments

Skev said…
Did I mention one of those species was parthenogenetic - reproduces with no males involved. Hope that stupid evolutionary idea doesn't catch on!
davidearlgray said…
Hi Skev, yes you did mention that,and as Private Fraser from Dad's Army, would say "We all Doomed!"

Popular posts from this blog

Indiana Dave and the quest for Derbyshire Orchids 6th June 2008.